For those getting restless and tired of cooking at home, there’s some good news.
Restaurants in the metro have pivoted to outdoor dining to help reduce the chance of spreading the coronavirus in confined spaces.
“Based on what you hear in the news, patio dining is what you do,” Katrin Heuser, who is Affäre’s co-owner and sommelier, told Flatland last week.
So, we know that to be true. But, asks an anonymous Kansas Citian, what are some good KC restaurants with outdoor seating?
Just a couple of weeks ago, Flatland reported that the Kansas City Public Works Department had issued 50 permits so far. And a few outdoor options showed up in our Weekend Possibilities column, too. But to make life easier in this uneasy time, we’ve compiled what we know so far, according to previous Flatland reports, CurbsideKC and opentable.com.
We also asked the city for a list of restaurants that offer cafe-like seating or have expanded their patios for outdoor dining but haven’t received that yet. Check back here for an updated list.
As of July 24, here are some options for outdoor dining:
- The Overland Park farmer’s market provides a “social distance walk-up” experience, where folks can purchase produce or grab-and-go meals.
- 1889 Pizza Napoletana is offering curbside pick-up and dine in, err out, on their patio.
- A Little BBQ Joint has pitched a tent outside for patrons who wish to dine in.
- Affäre now has limited outdoor seating but requires advance reservations.
- American Reserve Restaurant & Lounge converted its garage into an “urban oasis,” offering live music Friday and Saturday nights.
- Avenues Bistro in Brookside now offers limited outdoor seating (reservations are encouraged) and re-upped their weekend brunch special.
- Banksia, the Australian bakehouse in the downtown area, is using its existing patio for dine-in services, spaced out to comply with the city’s social distance regulations.
- The Bean Counter Cafe brings out pre-ordered meals to their outdoor seating in the nearby Colonial Gardens.
- All three of Bibibop’s locations offer outdoor dining options.
- Black Sheep on 39th Street has a rooftop patio for all outdoor dining needs.
- Blue Nile Ethiopian Cafe in the historic City Market offers outdoor seating.
- BLVD Tavern offers curbside pick-up, delivery and patio dining.
- Bolings opened its patio seating on June 15th.
- Brewery Emperial has a spacious outdoor dining area.
- Lawrence-based Fields and Ivy Brewery‘s patio area is already expansive but they converted their cornhole section into an added lounge area.
- Flying Horse Taproom offers up both patio and garden seating.
For a full list of restaurants that have outdoor options, see CurbsideKC’s list on Airtable and filter by clicking “Patio Seating” and “Yes.” You can also download the file below.